I’m 13 years old and passionate about climbing, although I enjoy many other activities as well. I began climbing in my family’s home gym when I was 3 years old, and I did my first roped climbs outdoors when I was 4. Like my older brother, Cameron, I did my first sport lead climbs just before my seventh birthday. At age 10 years and 7 months I succeeded on my first 5.14a redpoint, God’s Own Stone, making me possibly the youngest person to ever climb this grade! In 2013, the European climbing magazine Climax awarded my brother Cameron and me with the “New Kids on the Block” Olga Award for our climbing achievements.
In addition to climbing, I enjoy playing American football (WR & CB); I’ve been fortunate to play on two championship teams (2012 & 2014). I’m in the 8th grade at Manheim Township Middle School, and I play saxophone in the concert band. I also enjoy skiing, training for climbing, and weightlifting–in December 2015, I set the Pennsylvania state deadlifting record for my age/weight class (age 13/96lb) with a lift of 232 lbs. To relax I love listening to music and watching movies (the scarier the better!).
- EPIC-TV’s “A Climbing Family: The Hörsts” – Episode 3: Meet Jonathan Hörst (February 2014)
- EPIC-TV’s Climbing Daily Coverage (May 2014)
- Three Peak Films “The Send Bros.” mini-documentary (filmed summer 2013 & released June 2014)
- EPIC-TV’s Climbing Daily coverage (August 2014)
- EPIC-TV’s Climbing Daily coverage (June 2015)
- Video of Jonathan climbing Rodeo Free Europe (5.14a/8b+), Wild Iris, WY (July 2015)